Communication in health care settings is vital. 9% of the United States population is at risk for an adverse patient safety event as the result of a language discrepancy. When a patient’s primary language isn’t English, on-demand language support, such as VRI or over-the-phone interpreting services, makes it possible to communicate quickly and effectively, regardless of the language the patient speaks.
Medical interpreters have been found to have a positive impact on patient care. The use of qualified medical interpreters has been associated with improved care and higher quality of clinical care, as well as higher rates of patient satisfaction and comprehension, and lower rates of readmission and communication errors. While many health care systems have traditionally used on-site interpreters, Video Remote Interpretation, or VRI, has gained traction in recent years to become the fastest-growing foreign language service in the country, filling the gap between over-the-phone and on-site interpretation services.
What is VRI? VRI, or Video Remote Interpretation, is a video telecommunication service that uses devices such as web cameras or videophones to provide spoken language or sign language interpreting services.
The need for VRI medical interpreters has grown massively due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis as a need for social distancing has increased the use of telehealth services. Telehealth use surged from 8% of Americans in December (2019) to 29% in May (2020) for primary care and mental health physicians and specialists. We expect this trend will continue as Video Remote Interpreting emerges as the most appropriate interpreting modality for telehealth. Whether your organization is just getting started with VRI or has seen an increased demand for VRI, it may be helpful to have a more in-depth understanding of its benefits to health care organizations.
Today, we’ll look at the benefits of VRI to communicate with non-English speaking, Deaf, and Harding of Hearing patients, and how VRI medical interpreting services help close the communication gap for health systems.
Benefits of VRI Medical Interpreting Services in Health Care
Fast Response for Urgent Situations – VRI allows you to provide a fast response for both spoken languages and American Sign Language. When the need for communication is urgent, VRI provides interpreter response in seconds.
Provides an Appropriate Solution for Telehealth – For healthcare providers using video-conferencing and telemedicine platforms for patient meetings, Video Remote Interpretation (VRI) provides on-demand access to interpreters that can be easily integrated into a telehealth system.
On-Demand Interpreting Solution – Urgent situations, or situations not planned in advance, often call for the use of remote interpreters to meet language support needs. On-demand supports means having access when you need it, and at Telelanguage, we provide on-demand access to professional interpreters 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, 365 days a year.
Visual Support – The visual support associated with VRI provides enhanced accuracy and is suitable for spoken languages and American Sign Language (ASL).
Cost-Effective – Video remote interpretation fills the gap between over-the-phone and on-site interpretation services. Conventional on-site interpreting typically requires at least a two-hour minimum charge and possibly mileage and travel charges. VRI services can help optimize your interpretation budget while adding the benefit of visual support. When searching for a VRI provider, be sure to ask if there are hourly minimums associated with VRI technology. Part of Telelanguage’s commitment to our clients is that we look for ways to optimize and lower your interpretation costs, so we do not charge hourly minimums or extra expenses for VRI services.
Health Care Systems Using VRI Interpreting Services
- Urgent Care
- Emergency Departments
- Health Insurance
- Medicare Health Plans
- Nursing Homes
- Private Practices
- Community Health Centers
- Home Health Care
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Contact Tracing
10 Advantages of Telelanguage VRI Medical Interpreting Services:
- Certified Medical Interpreters (100% U.S. Based)
- Cost-Effective Interpretation Solution
- HIPAA, HITECH and ADA Compliant Services
- Suitable for Spoken Languages and American Sign Language
- Maintain Face-to-Face (Personal) Interaction with Remote Interpreting
- Available 24/7, 365 Days a Year
- Fast Connect Times (in seconds) Easy access from smartphone, tablet, laptop, or PC. (iOS & Android Device compatible.)
- Easy Access from Any iOS/Android Device (Smartphone or Tablet). Any Laptop or PC.
- Secure: Fully Encrypted Connections
- Customized Rate Plans
Telelanguage Whitepaper: Harnessing the Power of Video Remote Interpretation
- How, and why, video remote interpretation is used.
- The difference between VRI and other forms of interpretation.
- How to find a certified, professional service provider.
(Infographic) Medical Interpreters and VRI: Overcoming Language Barriers in Health Care
When language barriers arise in healthcare settings, you need support you can trust. At Telelanguage, we provide that support with a 24/7 one-point-of-contact account management system. Over 70% of our current client base are healthcare entities. Quality of language services ensures safety, accuracy, and efficiency when caring for patients in healthcare settings.
Telelanguage offers healthcare clients complete language services in over 350 languages:
- Superior-trained and certified medical interpreters
- Available 24/7, 365 days a year telephonically, on-site, and via video remote
- Translation of vital documents, patient forms, and notices
- Fastest interpreter connect times in the industry
- Leading-edge proprietary interpretation technology
- Best medically trained interpreters in the emergency healthcare industry
- Free Cultural Awareness training to help organizations work effectively LEP patients
Having dependable access to language services allows healthcare professionals to provide better service, and shows the community you serve that you are committed to patient-centered care. It will also save time so you and your staff can be more productive when communicating through an interpreter with limited-English proficient patients.
Want to learn more about how to improve patient communication and satisfaction with language services? Get a free Guide to Language Access in Healthcare! [Download Your Free Copy!]
Telelanguage VRI: Features and Capabilities
Through one simple application, Telelanguage connects you to medically certified, U.S.-based interpreters.
- Crystal Clear Quality
- Maintenance-Free Operation
- Intelligent Interpreter Routing
- 24x7x365 Technical Support
- Transparent, Analytics Platform
- HIPAA and HITECH Compliant
- Excellent compression for high-quality video even in areas with limited bandwidth
- 99.999% uptime service level guarantee ensures complete continuity and peace of mind
- iOS/Android applications typically update automatically depending on user preferences
- Select language and gender preference at the touch of a button
- Live support is available anytime you need it, 24x7x365
- 24×7 secure, on-line access to your data and billing information
- All security compliance regulations have been followed when publishing the application
Device Operating Specifications:
- Any iOS/Android device (phone or tablet)
- Any Laptop or PC
- 1mbs up and down
- Accessible via WiFi or 4gLTE
- Supports most protocols
- Only one IP should be required
- Intuitive One-Click User Interface
- Select Video or Audio/Voice Interpreting
- Video Performance Control
- Adjustable/Customizable View
- Language Availability Clearly Displayed
- Search by Language or Country
- Select Male/Female Interpreters for Video Languages
- 3rd Party Voice Participation Capability
- Call History
Video Preferences: best quality, best frame rate, best resolution, limited bandwidth
Audio: microphone and speaker device selection/level adjustment/ mute; echo cancellation, auto microphone level
Camera: Select and test device
Server Configuration: IP and Port
Options: Save password, autologin, play at tone when participants join/leave, show participant name, adjust ringtone volume
How Telelanguage Can Help
Telelanguage has been a trusted name in language interpretation and translation services since 1991. We provide the largest network of U.S. based industry-certified interpreters to support the language needs of our clients. Our video remote interpreting services are designed to deliver the highest-quality interpretations for our clients.
- Customized Rate Plans
- Free Trial Services are Available for Health Care Clients
- Easy Assembly From Any Office or Field Site
- Staff Training and Dedicated Customer Support
- HIPAA, HITECH and ADA Compliant Services
- Available 24/7, 365 Days a Year
- Apple and Android Devices Compatible
- Fully Encrypted Connections
Telelanguage Helps Clients Achieve and Maintain Compliance
- Affordable Care Act, Section 1557 (ACA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI)
- Fraud, Waste and Abuse (FWA)
- The Joint Commission
- Protected Health Information (PHI)
COVID-19 Language Support: No Contract Required Language Services
In light of the COVID-19 crisis, Telelanguage is offering all new contracts our language interpretation and translation services with no contract required.
Choosing quality in a language services partner for your hospital language services allows you to optimize interpretation cost while increasing overall patient satisfaction, reducing readmission rates, and achieving compliance with government regulations and quality standards. Create a more quality LEP patient experience. Contact Telelanguage to learn how our language access programs can benefit your organization.
Certified medical interpreters ready to speak in over 350 languages!
Call us today at 1-(855) 721-8084
Health care language services are available over-the-phone, face to face, or via video remote!