Language translation San Francisco Spotlight – San Francisco is the cultural, commercial, and financial center of Northern California, and also one of the most linguistically and culturally diverse cities in the nation (ranking 12th in the United States for foreign-born population). With a welcoming attitude toward new immigration (165,000 new foreign-born residents between 2013 and 2015), language access has been a priority for the city since 2001 with the implementation of the Equal Access to Services Ordinance (EAS), ensuring meaningful access and the same level of service to Limited English Proficient (LEP) persons that was available to all city residents. Amended in 2009 as the Language Access Ordinance (LAO), San Francisco has one of the most comprehensive local language access laws in the nation in order to better serve the city’s LEP residents.
A leading provider of interpretation and translation services, Telelanguage has been providing organizations and businesses (from healthcare to finance) with the highest quality language services in San Francisco, CA (and across the United States) since 1991.
The following is a snapshot of language access needs in San Francisco, CA.
Language Translation San Francisco
Language Access and Language Translation San Francisco
- As of 2015, the San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward area was home to 1.4 million immigrants — nearly 30% of the population. ABODO
- Foreign-born citizens are generally older (median age: 49.1) than Native-born citizens (median age: 32.9)
- 34.1% of San Francisco’s population is foreign-born, ranking it 12th in the United States for foreign-born population.
- More than 112 different languages are spoken in the San Francisco Bay Area (2014).
- 43.9% of all San Francisco residents speak a language other than English at home (2014).
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward area ranks 11th in the nation for the highest number of unauthorized immigrants by Pew Research Center.
Top 10 Languages Spoken in San Francisco:
- Other Pacific Island
Top 3 Non-English Languages Spoken in San Francisco:
- Chinese – 17.2% native speakers. (2015)
- Spanish – 10.3% native speakers (2015)
- Tagalog – 2.68% native speakers (2015)
San Francisco Population – Most Common Countries of Origin (CA):
- Mexico – 4.32 million immigrants (2015)
- Philippines – 878,605 immigrants (2015)
- China – 555,855 (2015)
* When compared to other states, California has a relatively high number of residents born in Armenia, Fiji and Iran.
Citizenship in San Francisco:
As of 2015, 86.9% of San Francisco residents were United States citizens (national average of 93%). Compared to 2014 (87.1%), citizenship has been declining in San Francisco.
Translation & Interpretation Needs: San Francisco, CA (Infographic)
Share this Image On Your Site
The Language Translation San Francisco spotlight highlights the most common languages and populations in need of access to qualified
interpreters and written translation services in the San Francisco Bay Area. Telelanguage has a large network of over 4,000 certified interpreters, and our professional translators are subject-matter experts. Telelanguage provides the highest quality language services and written translation in San Francisco and throughout the United States.
Language translation is available in over 100 target languages (and visa versa), and our interpreter services are available in 300+ languages. If your business or organization needs professional written translation, Telelanguage can help! Contact us for more information, request a quote or schedule a free demo today!
[Download] Free White Paper: Connecting Humanity through Technology: The Importance of Offering Language Services as an Organization.
Professional Translation Services and Interpretation Services
Find out how Telelanguage can improve your language services. Call 888-983-5352 for a free quote.
Providing expert translations and interpretations in San Francisco, CA and nationwide.