It is critical to communicate effectively in every medical situation, especially with Limited-English Proficient (LEP) clients. The total number of LEP individuals in the United States has grown by 81% since 1990. People seeking medical care are linguistically diverse and language barriers can negatively impact the care for an LEP patient. One in five Americans speaks a non-English language at home, and about 41% are considered “Limited English Proficient.” That’s 25 million people in the U.S. who speak English “less than very well.” Trained medical interpreters and quality language access programs in healthcare settings are necessary to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction.
How Do Medical Interpreters and Language Access Improve Patient Experience in Hospital Settings?
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), LEP patients receiving language interpretation has a positive impact in many areas, including:
Length of Stay and Readmission
- Patients spent 1.5 days fewer in the hospital when an interpreter is provided
- Patients receiving interpretation at admission and discharge are less likely to be readmitted within 30 days.
LEP Patient Experience and HCAHPS Success
- Hospitals with greater cultural competency have better HCAHPS scores for doctor communication, hospital rating, and hospital recommendation
- LEP patients in the emergency department report higher satisfaction (96%) with their communication in the ER when provided a professional than LEP patients who did not receive professional interpretation (26%)
- Use of medical interpreters has been shown to lower costs for ED visits.
- Improved access and utilization of primary care services has been associated with fewer ED visits.
- Interpreter services result in shorter length of stay in ED.
Get More From Your Language Services Partner
When language barriers arise in healthcare settings, you need support you can trust to protect the LEP patient experience. At Telelanguage, we provide that support with a 24/7 one-point-of-contact account management system. Over 70% of our current client base are healthcare entities. Language services ensure safety, accuracy, and efficiency when caring for patients in healthcare settings. Telelanguage offers healthcare clients complete language services in over 300 languages to communicate with LEP patients:
- Certified medical interpreters available 24/7, 365 days a year telephonically, on-site, and via video remote
- Translation of vital documents, patient forms and notices
- Fastest interpreter connect times in the industry
- Leading-edge proprietary interpretation technology
- Best medically trained interpreters in the emergency healthcare industry
- Free Cultural Awareness training to help organizations work effectively LEP patients
Telelanguage Helps Clients Achieve and Maintain Compliance
- Affordable Care Act, Section 1557 (ACA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI)
- Fraud, Waste and Abuse (FWA)
- The Joint Commission
- Protected Health Information (PHI)
Telelanguage Commitment for Health Care Clients
Telelanguage works with over 1,400 healthcare entities to improve language access programs and overall patient satisfaction while reducing your interpretation costs.
1.) Zero hidden fees: One low per-minute rate includes paper and/or electronic invoicing, one second increment billing, no monthly minimums, and free third party dialing.
2.) Call Volume Discount Plans are considered to be the best in the industry (available only to our Healthcare clients).
3.) Contract renewal policy guarantees zero rate increases.
4.) All interpreter reference materials such as language posters, dialing instructions, tips on effective communication with LEP including dual handset phones are all provided for Free.
5.) Telelanguage offer Free Service Trial Programs where you can test our services before entering into an agreement.
Create a more quality LEP patient experience. Contact us to learn how our language access programs can help your organization.
New Industry Resource – Connecting Humanity through Technology: The Importance of Offering Language Services as an Organization. [Download the Free White Paper]
Certified medical interpreters ready to speak in over 300 languages!
Call us today at 888-983-5352
Quality and expert interpretations for medical appointments are available telephonically, face to face, or by video remote!